If you are considering keeping a freshwater turtle as a pet , you have chosen a good companion. However, it is essential that you know these reptiles well, so that you can offer them the right conditions for them to develop healthy and happy.
First of all, you must take into account that they are cold-blooded animals, so it is important to regulate their body temperature. The habitat of your domestic turtle should mimic the natural habitat in which they are found as much as possible.
Understanding the characteristic behavior of these animals will help you better understand your pet turtle, and thus be able to identify if something is not going quite right.
Types of freshwater turtles for aquariums
When we talk about freshwater turtles for aquariums, there is a wide variety. However, we tell you the three most popular types:
Florida tortoise or red-eared tortoise
They are the most common species in homes, of the semi-aquatic type. They measure on average between 12 and 20 centimeters, although in some cases they can measure up to 40 cm. They spend most of their time in the water, however they love to sunbathe on rocks or a log to regulate their body temperature.
Yellow eared turtle
This species of tortoise has strong yellow lines on its tail, legs, and head. Its shell has brown tones and yellow stripes, with a flattened shape. Females are differentiated from males, as the latter have wider legs and a longer tail. Its average size is 20 to 30 centimeters.
This subspecies of turtle has an oval carapace, with a particular olive green color complemented by yellow spots . The neck and head are darker keeping the yellow this time in the form of lines. Its size ranges on average between 17 to 21 centimeters long.
Recommendations for the care of domestic aquarium turtles
Do you want to know how to care for a water turtle? Below we will share information about turtles relevant to your care and attention.
First of all, it is vitally important to consider that small pet turtles are aquatic . This means that they spend most of their lives under water, so it will be necessary to make a homemade turtle hatch that gives your pet the space it needs.
On the other hand, it is key that you understand that buying an aquatic turtle as a pet is a responsibility that requires specific care.
Fish tanks for turtles
Additionally, your water turtle’s fish tank must meet certain important requirements that provide all the comforts to your pet. By ensuring that you meet these requirements, you will be ensuring the living conditions that are conducive to your water turtle.
Characteristics of the aquarium for turtles
As we have mentioned before, your aquarium for turtles must have a series of specific qualities, in order to mimic the natural habitat of this species. Let’s see some requirements:
- Size: taking into account that some species of water turtles can measure up to 40 centimeters, the ideal is to have an aquarium large enough to allow you to swim comfortably. Likewise, the ideal water depth is between 15 and 20 centimeters.
- Land area: in addition to the aquatic area, the fish tank must have an area without water so that the turtle can dry off and sunbathe comfortably.
- Ramp: it is recommended to add a small ramp that allows the turtle to move from the water to the dry area where it will rest.Aquarium accessories
In order to keep the aquarium totally clean and at the ideal temperature for your turtle, it is essential to have some accessories that complement the operation of the fish tank.
- First of all, it is important to take into account that water turtles need an exposure time of approximately 2 or 3 hours of sunlight. If this is not possible, it is recommended to install a lighting system with a UV-B lamp over the dry area, in addition to a light bulb that provides heat to this area.
- On the other hand, the water temperature is also important, and it should be between 25 ° and 28 °. In order to maintain the proper temperature , the use of an aquatic turtle heater is recommended .
- Finally, cleaning the fish tank will be key, so it is important to have filtration equipment that removes all debris and impurities from the water.
How to clean the turtle hatch
First of all, it is recommended to check the space every time your turtle eats, so you make sure to immediately eliminate the waste. Additionally, a periodic cleaning is necessary, the ideal is to move the turtle to another space while you do it.
Remove all accessories and accessories, and wash the space using a sponge or brush . Use an odorless soap and let all accessories dry in the sun. Refill the tank, and wait two hours before returning the turtle to its space.
What do water turtles eat?
These animals are carnivores, although they can also eat vegetables. However, the ideal is that you feed them with feed for water turtles , designed to provide the nutritional contribution they require.
How long do turtles live?
These types of animals in pet condition have a life span of between 10 and 20 years , however, their life expectancy is directly affected by their diet, conditions in their aquarium, temperature, etc.
Where to buy turtles?
If you want to have pet turtles, we recommend visiting specialized places such as turtle stores , and pet stores specialized in aquariums. In this way you can even buy all the necessary accessories for your space. In addition, you can request advice on the characteristics of turtles for children if the youngest are the ones who will have this pet.